How can I help OpenRocket?
OpenRocket is an Open Source project, meaning that the source code is freely available and anybody can help make the software better. The program is mainly developed by Sampo Niskanen in his free time. Help is very much appreciated. You don't even need coding skills, as there are other things to do as well.
Below are a few suggestions of areas that would need help. If you'd like to participate, please join the development mailing list and introduce your ideas there.
Below are a few ideas about what kind of input developers can provide or features that could be implemented. For more information see the feature roadmap in the distribution TODO-file.
- 3D visualization of the rocket during design and flight (Help needed!)
- Printing of designs, simulation results, fin planforms etc
- Memory profiling and leakage reduction
- Writing RockSim design files
- UI enhancements, for example zooming plots etc.
Aerodynamic computation methods
There is still work to be done in the aerodynamic computation methods of OpenRocket. At least the following items need help. I will gladly provide help in creating and even implementing the computational methods.
- Simulating rockets at supersonic velocities (drag coefficient and CG position).
- Support for external pods and tube fins
- CFD methods for simulation
Contributions to the OpenRocket User's guide are dearly needed. Below are examples of topics.
- Getting started guide
- How to make staged and clustered designs
- Using mass/CG overrides for simulation accuracy
- Using simulations
- Effect of the simulation parameters
- Simulation method limitations
- Using simulation listeners (including examples)
- Translating OpenRocket to your language
- Creating good and interesting example designs that demonstrate some OpenRocket features.
- Hosting a place to share rocket designs with other enthusiasts.
- Giving input and suggestions on how to make OpenRocket better.